We fully support the latest action by MOH and Veterinary Department against pig farmers who abused the usage of Beta Agonist in pig rearing.
Since this is a food safety issue, the MOH have to be stringent in dealing with this abuse.
Although only a small number of pig farmers are involved, it will tarnish the image and shake the confidence of consumers about pork consumption.
The MOH and Vertinary Department should:
1) Prevent the tainted pigs being sold in the open markets - for a fixed period. A quarantine or blockage is necessary to enforce this ruling;
2) Name of farms involved in the abuse should be announced.
3) A repeated offender (3X) should have his license revoked.
4) The Livestock Association should practice self-regulation by expelling the farmers involved if they are members of the association.
5) MOH and Vertinary Department should ensure its enforcement officers are professional in its investigation.